[Grok-dev] Grok forest sprint report
faassen at startifact.com
Sun Nov 7 18:37:42 EST 2010
Last week we had a very successful sprint in a lovely converted barn in
the forest in Germany.
The atmosphere was great, we had great hosts and great company, and
thanks also to Uli for arranging everything! I personally came to the
sprint a bit dispirited, but so much cool stuff was going on and
discussed that I'm now feel quite energized.
Some of the things we did (please add to this when I forget);
* many many bugs in the launchpad bug tracker were closed, reevaluated,
* the long-standing Martian improvements finally landed in Grok itself.
* various strange group authorization issues were explored and tests
were written. We now are in a better position to eventually rewrite the
way this works.
* started work on a dedicated static resource publisher as part of
hurry.resource. This would combine the lessons learned from a while of
hurry.resource usage, z3c.hashedresource and some experimenting I did
with search, with some new ideas. hurry.resource would totally take over
the publishing of static resources, taking that job away from
Zope. Jan-Jaap, is a branch checked in?
* various directives were moved to lower-level packages for greater reuse.
* splitted off grokcore.json from Grok itself. grokcore.rest and
grokcor.xmlrpc are to follow.
* discussions on the future role of the "grok" package now that it will
contain less code. grok's __init__.py would contain conditional imports
from the various Grok packages, with a warning if an import wasn't
possible. By default, grokproject would install all grokcore.* deps, but
a developer may remove some.
* discussed a new publisher and decided on a few approaches to take
* got a sketch for the new publisher on bitbucket:
* demonstrations and discussion about many things Dolmen. We also
visited actual real life dolmen in the woods nearby, about 5000 years old!
* explored the py.test testrunner for a few projects
* work on zeam.setup, a potential buildout/setuptools replacement
* started to maintain community documentation in Sphinx on bitbucket
* work on running Grok without the ZODB; there's a grokcore.setup branch
for this now.
* implementation of a json schema implementation that can also do
content conversion for JSON input, along with some other features:
http://bitbucket.org/faassen/jsonor. JSON plays a more and more
important part in web development and this will help us get better
support for it.
More information about the Grok-dev