[Grok-dev] Grok-1.2a released

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 06:58:00 EDT 2010

On 10/7/10 22:06 PM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> * Grok-1.2 and the Grok Toolkit will make use of zc.buildout-1.5.1 and
> the new features it brings. Most importantly, the possibility to safely
> use the system Python for creating new projects. This should especially
> help newcomers who want to try out Grok. We can simplify the
> installation instructions by leaving out the "virtualenv" steps.

By the looks of it - correct me if I'm wrong - there is work being done
on zc.buildout that changes the default behavior regarding isolation
from the system python's site-packages.

Current default behavior is to generate paths and scripts that are
isolated. The default behavior will be - again, correct me if I'm wrong
- to not isolate from system python, unless explicitly told otherwise.

This means, if we really want to support system python isolation for
projects created with grokproject, we'd have to generate a buildout.cfg
for these projects that explicitly configures the project to not include
system python site-packages. In other words, if we use the respective
directives explicitly in the generated buildout.cfg, we can safely
upgrade from 1.5.1 to zc.buildout-1.5.2 in the future without a sudden
change in behavior.

regards, jw