[Grok-dev] Cannot create `grokproject': version conflict

Jonathan Hackleworth jonathanhackleworth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:14:41 EDT 2010

Hello

When I try create a Grok project as described in
http://grok.zope.org/doc/current/tutorial.html#getting-started-with-grok as
follows:

~$ virtualenv virtualgrok
~$ source virtualgrok/bin/activate
(virtualgrok)~$ easy_install grokproject
(virtualgrok)~$ grokproject Sample

I get the following error (after entering username and password for the
server):

Downloading zc.buildout...
Invoking zc.buildout...
While:
  Installing.
Error: There is a version conflict.
We already have: zc.buildout 1.5.2

I did a search for "version conflict" in this mailing list and found a
http://old.nabble.com/grokproject-Error%3A-There-is-a-version-conflict.-We-already-have%3A-zc.buildout-1.5.0-to29531709.html#a29531709
message  from someone who's had the same problem (but with a different
version of zc.buildout). In a reply to his message it was suggested he
replace the bootstrap.py with
http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/zc.buildout/branches/1.4/bootstrap/bootstrap.py.

Isn't that a somewhat ad-hoc solution? I doubt, for instance, that it is
still valid today.

So what's the right thing to do?

Regards
Jonathan