[Grok-dev] search broken in community docs and official docs

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue Jan 11 05:25:55 EST 2011

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> On 1/11/11 9:07 AM, Uli Fouquet wrote:

[snip]

> Sounds like a good plan, to have slightly different coloring or
> something for the community docs versus the official docs.

Then all we'd need is a volunteer a bit fluent in webdesign. Someone
around? Sebastian? We'd need a slightly different layout (most probably
colors) which would come down to minor CSS changes, I guess.

> > - We could build a 'Grok theme' for Sphinx.
>
> I'm not (yet) well versed in Sphinx: what would a Grok Theme brings us?

I haven't done that myself yet ;) But from the Sphinx docs I get the
impression that we could share one theme for both, the community and the
reference docs and set differences in the respective conf.py files.

Right now, both layout.htmls differ slightly, for instance for the upper
link bar. With a theme we might could turn these differences into
conf.py-settable options and wouldn't have to care for two nearly
identical layout.htmls in two different locations any more.

The only question would be how to share the theme (basically a ZIP file
or a subdir) in the different repository types. Would mercurial support
something similar to svn:external (which is ugly, I know)? Or vice
versa? I am a complete Mercurial-illiterate ;)

> > Anyway, I modified the layout.htmls for both, the community docs and the
> > reference docs. Both are now shorter and hopefully better to understand
> > and maintain. Also searching should work again now.
>
> Great! They should be online now... well there aren't... but that's
> because I made a mistake in the cronjobs: the PATH setting was not
> correct. I'll fix that. Thanks!

Seems it works fine now :) Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

--
Uli