[Grok-dev] Planning "Grok Bavaria Sprint"

Souheil CHELFOUH trollfot at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:10:07 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I had a conversation with Christian about all this.
What we need to clarify is the purpose of the sprint.
In my opinion, the sprint is about the future of Grok, as we already
discussed it on an online meeting.
Cromlech was one clue of aa possible process to go further and open
Grok somehow.
Anyway, the topic is much wider thann just this particular case, i think.

The last releases were maintenance based and still heavily linked to
the cleaning process of zope.
Improving dependencies and changing the version martian, mainly.
The question that is on some people's mind is : where do we go next.

The Cromlech version I sent you, guys, while you were in the US, was a
first attempt to free Grok from the publisher.
Or at least, an attempt to provide another way to bootstrap the whole
zope stack.
While trying to push further, I simply discovered that everything is
linked to the publisher in the end.
I don't think that we can do much more, in terms of cleaning, that the
version I sent you (but to code is better and wiser).

The Cromlech project mutated since then, and Alexandre (pasdavoine)
and myself, are working on a project for our company.
The schedule is very tight and we are not available until it's done,
during june.
Cromlech evolved away from zope and we forked all we needed to be
independant. We use martian and some grokcore packages.
But we ditched all the zope publishing/traversing stack, therefore
simply using the ZCA, keeping the whole thing tightly controled.
We don't want Pyramid, as a monolithic complexe entity, we want
modularity and easiness of use, oriented toward hardcore developers.
We need tools to build good quality applications and we're trying to do so.

If the sprint is held after the project is completed, I'll do my best
to be there, yes

- Souheil