[Grok-dev] Grok-dev Digest, Vol 90, Issue 3

Paul Sephton prsephton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 13:05:31 CEST 2015

Let me at the outset express my thanks for everyones answers regarding my
grok.Layout query.  And thanks to everyone who have and continue to make
zope and grok a great product.

My personal take on ZCML is that if I had ever been forced to use it, I
would never have built anything at all using the Zope toolkit. Yes, I feel
that strongly about it.

So what is my problem with ZCML?  The fact that I cannot imagine having to
maintain a configuration file for views and adapters separate from my code,
regardless of the format of the configuration file.  To me, this would mean
switching context while coding, and I hate that.  There are two places to
check if things go wrong, and the ZCML is not available from the debugger.

Probably the biggest thing that Grok does for me is to make me not have to
bother with ZCML, and turns Zope into a true pythonic technology. Whats not
to love about it?

Anyway, I think you can do a ZMI release which integrates with
grokcore.admin without having to release a whole new grokproject. After it
is tested for a while one might consider adding it to the core. It is best
to keep dependencies to an absolute minimum.

Regards,
Paul