[Gsoc] License for code upload to google

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Fri Aug 17 13:58:07 EDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:

> Does google not allow the ZPL to be selected somehow?

When you create a new project for hosting in http://code.google.com,
you have to choose a license from this list: Apache License 2.0,
Artistic License/GPLv2, GNU General Public License 2.0, GNU General
Public License 3.0, GNU Lesser Public License, MIT License, Mozilla
Public License 1.1, New BSD License (I am not sure whether you can
leave that unselected, though).

However, Google does not expect each of us to create a new project
there. We can do so if we wish, but we *MUST* upload our code to this
project:

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/

As you can see in the right column, it says: "License: 	Apache License
2.0", which obviously will not be true when about 6000 different
students upload their code there, from hundreds of different
codebases.

So the Zope Foundation should contact GSoC to tell them that:
1) they'll have change that setting in the google-summer-of-code
project to read "various" or whatever;
2) they should add ZPL and/or an "other" option to their list of licenses;

These are two separate issues, though. And the first one is much more
pressing, because this year they are saying that if we don't upload
our code there, we won't get paid the last installment.

Just so you know, last year there was no such requirement. My code was
just committed to the Horde project svn, for example. So all this is
new to the googlers running GSoC as well.

Regards,

Luciano