[Gsoc] Vudo mentorship

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 4 10:59:48 EST 2008

Hey,

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Malthe Borch <mborch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>  > You mention eggs and entry points, but you also mention TTW plugins.
>  >  Could you explain
>  >  what this means? Is this a way to enable a pre-existing egg as a
>  >  plugin in a TTW interface,
>  >  or is this a way to actually develop an application at run-time? If
>  >  this supports actual TTW development
>  >  activities in some form, how would this be related to eggs and entry
>  >  points at all?
>
>  I'd like to extend a running application in a way that plays nicely
>  with both the component architecture and setuptools. The extensions
>  are typically released as eggs and can either be uploaded or pulled
>  automatically from the application itself.
>
>  As I understand it, entry points can be used to define setup and
>  tear-down procedures for a package among other things.
>
>  So it's about deployment and not about development. This can be
>  thought of as a TTW-supplement to buildout, where the entry points
>  would be used to run configuration slugs.

Okay, understood, that could be an interesting project. It'd be zope 3
component that
can do buildout-y things. The web interface not so fundamental to it,
the extending a running
process with new eggs during runtime bit is.

Note that 'configuration slugs' is a Plone-specific term and other
buildout-related
projects don't tend to use slugs at all. You'd definitely want to
examine what might happen with
z3c.autoinclude as well; we recently had some grok-dev discussions
with ideas to extend it to help
with Plone's slug problem.

Anyway, add a short description to the list, please?

Regards,

Martijn