[Gsoc] Idea: graphical browser for ZODB

Rafael Oliveira rafaelbco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 08:17:19 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>  On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Adam <agroszer.ll at gmail.com> wrote:
>  [snip]
>
> >  Having a night's sleep about this there are still interesting ideas
>  >  around it like:
>  >
>  >  - it gives you at the moment a static view of the current DB, might be
>  >   interesting to be able to go back in time
>  >  - having some kind of transaction history viewer might be also nice
>  >  - having found the problem in your ZODB, a "give me a console here"
>  >   where you do a python command to fix the object would be quite cool
>  >  - something that determines object sizes in ZODB ("what the heck takes
>  >   up that much space")
>
>  Those are indeed good ideas. I think such a tool would be useful, and
>  you could still focus it on the lower level. It could then be
>  complimentary with the higher-level tools which I think Lennart and
>  myself are discussing (for Plone and Grok). It *would* be nice if the
>  tool were through the web, as then you could offer a whole TTW
>  experience to people. Of course much of the work could be done
>  independent from UI.

It seems to me that there's room for a GSoC project to continue work
on the zodbexplorer idea. The idea would be implement new features
like the ones suggested by Adam and/or create a Web UI for it.

The other projects mentioned, like the Grok introspector, API browser,
etc are very interesting but I'd really like to have something focused
on ZODB and independent from Zope. Also I think it's something
developer coming from the relational DB world miss on the Zope world.

What are your opinions on this ?

Regards,

Rafael Bruno Cavalhero de Oliveira <rafaelbco at gmail.com>
Analista de Sistemas - Paradigma <http://www.paradigma.com.br>
Mestrando em Ciência da Informação - UFMG
http://rafaelb.objectis.net