[Gsoc] ZODB-related project ideas

Dirceu Pereira Tiegs dirceutiegs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:59:03 EDT 2008

Em 23/03/2008, às 09:58, Martijn Pieters escreveu:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Dirceu Pereira Tiegs
> <dirceutiegs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> = Improved replication for ZODB through ZEO Raid =
>>
>> The ZEO RAID storage is a proxy storage that works like a RAID
>> controller by creating a redundant array of ZEO servers. The
>> redundancy is similar to RAID level 1 except that each ZEO server
>> keeps a complete copy of the database. This proposal aims to improve
>> gocept.zeoraid, fixing bugs, testing and implementing needed
>> features.
>
> I'd love to see a GSOC project tackling getting ZEO Raid ready for
> production! Big +1 from me here.

Nice! This is my favorite idea at this time.

>> = RelStorage support to Microsoft SQLServer =
>>
>> RelStorage is a storage implementation for ZODB that stores pickles
>> in
>> a relational database. This proposal aims to provide support for
>> Microsoft SQLServer in order to take advantage of it's replication
>> and
>> deployment infrastructure.
>
> Again, a big +1 from me.
>
> Additionally, looking into refactoring backend implementations loading
> so that they can be distributed separately? Just add the
> relstorage-oracle egg to your buildout and everything works, kind of
> thing. Last but not least, add blob storage support, where ZODB blobs
> are stored in the relational database too.

This seems nice!

>> = Allow limiting the size of ClientStorage's blob cache =
>>
>> Currently the ClientStorage will grow the blob cache indefinitely. We
>> should allow some control about how large the cache may grow, e.g. by
>> making the ClientStorage support minimizing the blob cache. (Idea:
>> LRU
>> principle via mstat access time and a size-based threshold)
>> currently).
>>
>>  From https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zodb/+spec/limit-clienstorage-blob-cache
>
> This is perhaps a bit small. Maybe this can be combined with the next
> proposal, making both caching policies pluggable?
>
>> = An alternative object caching strategy for ZODB: object
>> classification =
> <snip>
>> This
>> proposal aims to modify the ZODB to allow different cache
>> implementations to be used, and implement a cache that performs an
>> object classification using a configurable strategy.
>
> Quite ambitious, I'd say! But also something that can have a great
> impact on larger sites, and I'd certainly welcome making the cache
> policy pluggable.

As I said I in my first message, I have little experience with ZODB
code; I've sent this ideas to see what the experts would say about them.

It seems that "Allow limiting the size of ClientStorage's blob cache"
is too small and "An alternative object caching strategy for ZODB:
object classification" is too big, so probably I'll go with ZEORaid or
Relstorage-related tasks.

I'll try do decide based on all the comments and will write my
application tomorrow (the student application period opens today,
24/03).

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Regards,
--