[GSoC] Idea : RESTful interface for Zope

Thomas Cordival tuxella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 11:00:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,

Hi

> Thanks for your idea!

You're welcome

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Thomas Cordival <tuxella at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think that Zope could be a great framework to develop WebServices in
> > python and then it could be interesting to implement a generic kind of
> view
> > for WebServices that could be the base for SOAP or REST interfaces.
> >
> > From a more practical point of view, the idea would be to create a base
> > from which it would be easy to implement interfaces for REST, SOAP,
> XML-RPC
> > or other web services oriented protocols.
> >
> > If this would be accepted as an idea for the GSoC, I would be volunteer
> > address it.
>
> I'm a bit surprised: how do you see this working? SOAP and REST are
> extremely different ways of approaching web services. Very much in
> brief: SOAP exposes an API to the web, and REST a protocol. Web
> services on top of SOAP take a very different shape than web services
> that use RESTful patterns. I have trouble envisioning a generic view
> that is useful as a base to both. Could you sketch out your ideas in
> more detail?

Basically the idea would be to let the user handling resquests at a lower
level
to replace the URL and HTTP handlers. Then, it would allow developpers to
implement
wrappers for several protocols without having to go as low as Twisted to
implement
high-level protocols.

> In addition, Zope 3 already has a REST support package, and Grok also
> contains (different) REST support. Both Zope 3 and Grok share their
> XML-RPC support as well. There is also a 'soap' package that adds SOAP
> support to Zope 3, though I'm not sure whether it's being actively
> used or maintained (which might show there is little demand for SOAP
> support in Zope, but perhaps not).

I had a quick look on Grok's support for REST but it doesn't seem very well
integrated
into Zope (but that's normal since Grok is done over Zope) and there isn't
any
official implementation for SOAP in Zope, while XML-RPC is being unused for
WebServices in new SOA projects.

> Anyway, my response would be to get a lot more specific. "Web services
> of any kind in Zope" is rather broad. In addition, I suspect you
> should do more research: your message doesn't seem to show awareness
> that we already have support for much of what you'd like to create.

If you prefer then it could be more REST-centric and then implement a very
complete
thing that would allow developers to think their RESTful protocol clearly
and distinctly
from the objects implementation.
What do you think of that ?

--