[Gsoc] Re: [Gsoc-mentors] Three project ideas that could be Zope OR Plone.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:47:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Matthew Wilkes <matt at matthewwilkes.name> wrote:
>  Well, I'd say submit for both and we can decide depending on how many
>  slots we each get.  We've told Zope we don't mind running more zope-
>  oriented stuff through Plone as long as it's relevant to Plone too.

OK.

>  > Documentation Helper
>  > ==============
>  > The documentation helper will show the methods and docstrings for a
>  > particular object / class / interface.
>  >
>  > Possible easiest way forward is to port apidoc to Zope2, and then
>  > start enhancing it.
>
>  Like docfindertab?

Something like that yes. Preferrably we want something that does what
apidoc and docfindertab does, and is extensible with extra info from,
say Grok, and knows about the object introspector and integrates with
that.

But that's too much for one SoC session. :)

>  > Object Introspector
>  > ============
>  > The object introspector is a view for any object (possibly it needs to
>  > be traversable to have views, I'm not sure).
>
>  What does this fellow do?

It allows you to introspect objects, see it's attributes and
annotations. Should also be extensible aand adaptable so you can make
custom versions for Btrees for example.

>  > View introspector
>  > ===========
>  > This is a view that helps you find information on a view, preferably
>  > in a non-intrusive way, by popups or hovers over the view-parts (if
>  > possible). A reasonable guess is that it's implemented as a subclass
>  > of the object introspector, specialized for views.
>
>  Sounds a bit scary, could you flesh out exactly what the expectations
>  for these things would be?

Sure. It's not my expextations though, it's things Martin Aspeli and
some more people has sent me as requirements, and I don't exactly know
how to implement these:

* When invoked upon a particular browser view, show its name, where it
is defined, and what context and layer it is defined for.
* Similarly, display detailed information about all viewlets visible
on the view where the introspector is invoked.
* Ideally, it should be possible to generate a short code snippet that
shows the view registration in full so that it can be easily adapted
for a customised version.
* it should be possible to invoke the portal_view_customizations
machinery. (Not entirely sure what this means)

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64