[Interface-dev] Separate zope.interface package

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jun 14 10:38:52 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Monday 14 June 2004 06:59 am, Jim Fulton wrote:
>  > I think this was a mistake.
>
> What, specifically, do you feel was a mistake?  Using the ZopeX3 branch,

Yes

> sharing the version number, both,

Yes

>  > Now that the Twisted project is using Zope interfaces, we have
>  > a new community of users that will have needs that drive changes
>  > quicker than Zope 3 needs.  The need to make method definiton more
>  > pluggable is an example.
>
> This leads me to think that you mean zope.interface is really a top-level
> project in it's own right.

That was not my intent.  One of the main points of the repository work
was to decouple repository layout and release management.  Of course,
the "standard" subversion layout strategy tends to couple repository
layout and releases. :(  I need to ponder this.

>  > The next feature release for zope.interface should be made from the
>  > head.
>
> For a feature release, sure.  Do you disagree that maintenance releases should
> be from the ZopeX3-3.0 branch?

There might need to be a feature release of zope.interface *before* there is
another feature release of Zope. At which point, the ZopeX3-3.0 branch becomes
irrelevant.

 > Unfortunately, a feature release going to
> beta would cause a branch, which means a maintenance nightmare (yet another
> branch where bug fixes need to be tracked).

I may be overoptimistic, but I find merging to be wildly easier with
subversion than it was with CVS.  Aside from the time required to run
tests, copying changes between branches should be very easy.  I've
certainly found it to be.  It probably helps a lot to copy the
changes as you make them.  Of course, you do want to minimize the
number of branches you have to do this for.  If this becomes a problem, we
probably would want to switch to a "vendor import" model of having a
separate head for zope.interface that we periodically sync up with the
projects that need it.

>  > Alternatively, it might be good idea for the Twisted project
>  > to make thier *own* releases, according to their timing needs.
>
> If this is done, would you want to also make releases of the zope.interface
> code?

It would be a lower priority.  In general, I want to make it easier for
others to create releases as needed.

 > I think dual release cycles and mis-matches between the Zope 3
> releases and zope.interface releases spell disaster.

I think it's going to take us a while to find the right rhythm.
I don't think we should be afraid to try things.

Jim