[Interface-dev] Twisted usage of zope interface in Zope3 SVN

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Sep 22 14:42:45 EDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

> I noticed the other day that the Twisted tests are failing with the
> latest SVN checkout of Zope3 trunk. Our usage of adapter
> registration seems to be totally broken. Apparently you guys
> realized this:
>

>     # XXX hack to fake out twisted's use of a private api.  We need
> to get them
>     # to use the new registed method.
>     def get(self, _):
>         class XXXTwistedFakeOut:
>             selfImplied = {}
>         return XXXTwistedFakeOut
>

> Of course this breaks things because selfImplied doesn't contain
> anything. I realize this is only SVN trunk,

And Zope 3.3 and 2.11, which are on the verge of being released.  We
really need to get a new interface release out soon. :)

> but I see that this thing was added about 5000 revisions ago, so
> I'm wondering if anything else is planned on making this hack work
> more thoroughly.

No, but I added a public API so you don't need the hack.

> Of course, maybe that's not necessary: We should also be using the
> new API,

Yes.

> I guess, but I'm not sure how or when I should do this, as the
> released version of zope interface works with Twisted.

I could make a new release if that would help.

> I'm also kind of surprised this isn't breaking Zope3's usage of
> Twisted, but I guess you have been able to avoid the parts of
> Twisted that actually use adapters.

I guess. I had the impression that this hack wasn't very important to
Twisted. I don't remember why.

I thought I brought this up on twisted-web a while ago, but I'm not
sure. I meant to.

Anyway, I'm glad you brought this up. I'd like to see this get resolved.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org