[Interface-dev] Suggestion: incorporate zope.schema into the zope.interface package

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Mon Jul 23 23:17:10 EDT 2007

I recently suggested to Brian Warner, author of Buildbot and
the next generation Twisted distributed object package, Foolscap,
that he might consider using zope.schema instead of his
independently invented foolscap.schema module, which has
quite a lot in common with zope.schema.  Brian said it
sounded like an interesting idea, but he expressed the
reservation that it would introduce another dependency.

I'm taking it upon myself to suggest merging zope.schema into
zope.interface because I'm beginning to incorporate zope.schema
into an app I'm developing that already makes heavy use
of zope.interface, as does Foolscap.  (This will make it obvious
why I'd like to see Foolscap also use zope.schema:  I'm planning
on using Foolscap in my app, but I'd like to avoid depending on
2 similar 'schema' modules from different packages.)

ISTM (1) zope.interface and zope.schema are rather intimately
related, (2) zope.schema is pretty small, and (3) although I'm
sure many folks use zope.interface without using zope.schema, I
doubt that many would worry about the small amount of extra
baggage that zope.schema represents.

Thoughts?

Steve