[ZDP] Letters from publishers

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@village.uunet.be
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:57:45 +0100

Below you'll find the response of the publishers to our letter :

Let us know what you think

-----------------------

Our Letter (thanks to the hard work of Ute for totally rewriting my Letter)

November 25, 1999

Dear Laurie:
Dear Jim:

The volunteers at ZDP would like to express a sincere thank you to both New
Riders Publishing and IDG Publishing for showing interest in publishing
Zbook. We apologize for not responding to you sooner, but please understand
that we are a handful of volunteers who, when we can, give our free time to
ZDP.  We ask for your patience and understanding in this matter.

As you might imagine, we were all a little surprised--and thrilled--by your
interest in publishing a hardcopy version of Zbook. We had initially planned
only an online version--which would have remained and will remain a work in
progress. Your interest means that we now have to re-think our approach to
writing Zbook and, because we have no experience writing a hardcopy book, we
have to determine what it involves. Although we have already begun this
process (Tom Deprez, for example, is in the process of defining volunteer
tasks and putting into place a structure for Zbook) it will take some time
to complete it.

Because of our lack of experience in publishing, we feel that it would be of
benefit to all involved if you could provide us with more information
regarding the writing/publication process before we make a firm commitment
to writing the hardcopy version.

We would like to know how you envision the co-operation between publisher
and writer(s) to proceed in our case. Specifically:

1. Do you, the publisher, expect us to meet a deadline for writing the book?
2. What would happen if we failed to meet this deadline or if this book
failed to be brought to completion?
3. What type of assistance can you provide towards the writing process? For,
example,
would ZDP have to provide you with a typeset, ready-for-printing manuscript?
If not, what do you accept?
4. Under which license would Zbook be published? (We are aware that there is
a Open Content License and an Open Publication License but do not understand
the real
difference between the two.)
5. Why this license?
6. Can you provide us with a summary of the license?
7. Who would be the signatories to any publishing agreement? Keeping in mind
that the volunteers present at the start of this writing project may not be
there at the finish.

We are sure that you can appreciate our need to obtain as much information
as possible prior to making a commitment. We want to be certain that we can
make an informed decision that, we hope, will ensure the success of this
project. If you are still interested in working with us, please let us know.
We would be happy to hear from you.

Tom Deprez
Ute Methner

------------------------

Response from Jim Sumser

November 27, 1999.

[...]

We expect you to meet deadlines that you've agreed to.  We don't set the
deadlines; you do.
2. What would happen if we failed to meet this deadline or if this book
failed to be brought to completion? Deadlines are milestones and often
change.  It's not in your best interest to have the book slip, because of
marketing and sales planes, etc., but a few weeks here or there is not
important.  If you failed to complete the book, I would probably start
crying.  I'd look around for someone to finish it up.  You would keep the
advances for the manuscript that you had turned in. If I couldn't find
anyone to finish it up, the whole thing would be killed.

3. What type of assistance can you provide towards the writing process? For,
example,
would ZDP have to provide you with a typeset, ready-for-printing manuscript?
If not, what do you accept? Word files.  We do all the rest.
4. Under which license would Zbook be published? (We are aware that there is
a Open Content License and an Open Publication License but do not understand
the real
difference between the two.)Either do I.  I'll look into it. (But I think
that these licenses have nothing to do with a book about Zope.  I suspect
they have to do with software publishing.)
5. Why this license? I'll find out.
6. Can you provide us with a summary of the license? Not yet. I'll look into
it.
7. Who would be the signatories to any publishing agreement? Keeping in mind
that the volunteers present at the start of this writing project may not be
there at the finish. Well, if there's the likelihood of a lot of authors,
then we'd probably pay a flat fee for, say, each chapter.  If so, the
authors would each sign a contract with IDGB.  We can talk about how to
proceed with this. If there are 2 to three authors, it's best to go with
royalities.

We are sure that you can appreciate our need to obtain as much information
as possible prior to making a commitment. We want to be certain that we can
make an informed decision that, we hope, will ensure the success of this
project. If you are still interested in working with us, please let us know.
We would be happy to hear from you.

Tom Deprez
Ute Methner

----------------

Response from Laurie Petrycki

Ute & Tom-

We're still very interested in pursuing this opportunity with you. I realize
your organize is volunteer-based, but a person or group of people will need
to take the lead on this initiative. Of course, the leaders will be
compensated, but as a publisher I need someone in the position of a leader.

> We would like to know how you envision the co-operation between
> publisher and writer(s) to proceed in our case. Specifically:

> 1. Do you, the publisher, expect us to meet a deadline for writing the
> book?

Unfortunately, deadlines are necessary. As the publisher we need to plan and
coordinate many activities surrounding the publication of the book including
development editing, copy editing, indexing, layout, marketing, printing,
binding, shipping, sales, and promotion. Although, we'll work with you, so
you can define a schedule that meets your needs and the fits with the cycle
of the product.

> 2. What would happen if we failed to meet this deadline or if this
> book failed to be brought to completion?

Deadlines can be extended. Although, this can cause problems on our end, but
we try to work with an Author or team. We realize things happen in personal
and professional lives as well as the unexpected software modifications. In
terms of a total non-delivery of the manuscript, the contract is usually
terminated without fanfare. Although, if the Publisher was to advance the
author any monies it would need to be repaid.

> 3. What type of assistance can you provide towards the writing
>  process? For, example, would ZDP have to provide you with a typeset,
>  ready-for-printing manuscript? If not, what do you accept?

We feel very strongly it's the author's job to focus on writing. In turn, we
provide you with several back end services including development,
illustration, copyediting, indexing, proofreading, and layout. We also feel
strongly the author should work in environment they feel comfortable when
writing their manuscript. We'll figure out a way to use or convert the
files.

> 4. Under which license would Zbook be published? (We are aware that
> there is a Open Content License and an Open Publication License but do >
not understand the real difference between the two.)

The book would be published under the Open Publication License. The OPL was
spearheaded by me to create a license specific to the book publishing
industry. The OPL provides certain protections for the printed book in
retail channels most specifically the use of the Publisher and Author's
names on the cover of the book.

> 5. Why this license?

The license was created (I initially brought the idea to Eric Raymond) in
order for me as Publisher to give something back to the Open Source
community while retaining a profitability model. I feel the license for a
printed book product needs to differ from licenses primarily used for
software. Software can be released electronically without any hard costs.
Book publishing involves extensive "hard" costs including paper, printing,
binding, distribution, and storage. We needed to protect our investment in
these areas.

> 6. Can you provide us with a summary of the license?

The license basically provides for all types of redistribution with certain
restrictions for the printed book product. Any printed book product other
than from the publisher or authorized by the publisher, eg. an authorized
foreign translation would be required to use the Publisher's name in a
possessive form on all surfaces of the cover. The license also provides two
additional options one allowing no modification to the material the other
prohibiting redistribution of a printed book product in retail channels.
Enacting the options consists of a discussion between the author and
publisher.

> 7. Who would be the signatories to any publishing agreement? Keeping
> in mind that the volunteers present at the start of this writing
> project may not be there at the finish.

I need would to have one person, a group of people, a non-profit
organization, or company execute a contract. People can be added or removed
from the contract throughout the writing process. The proceeds of the book
can be paid to the contract signatories to diverted to an non-profit
organization. I can't publish a work without having the rights granted to do
so.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to discuss
these or any other issues you might need addressed.

Regards,
Laurie

Laurie Petrycki
Executive Editor