[ZDP] Announcing the Zope Documentation Project

John Eikenberry jae@kavi.com
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:01:31 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I'm randomly assuming here you know more about DocBook SGML than I do,
> so here I'm involuntarily inofficially  but you can back out of it
> immediately appointing you the ZDP DocBook SGML expert. :)

Well, I hate to say it, but I think your random assumption is misbegotten.
I would love to be more of an SGML expert, that would make it much easier
to translate my HTML mini-HOWTO to a SGML HOWTO.

That said... I still might be willing to take on the job. I've been
meaning to teach myself SGML for quite some time (in order to convert my
mini-howto). I could use some help though... any other SGML people out
there who'd be willing to lend me a hand (ie. answer my stupid newbie
questions)?

> I think perhaps the first thing you could do is get together with people
> in the Latex thread for docs; they seem to have come up with it
> independently. I know even less Latex than SGML and SGML seems a closer
> fit with the XML-ish direction the web's taking, so my question would be
> to point out the advantages of SGML to everybody.

I am a bit more familiar with Latex, having written a couple thesis using
it. Though IMO, SGML/DocBook is the way to go.

---

John Eikenberry
[jae@kavi.com - http://taos.kavi.com/~jae/]
 will deserve neither and lose both."