[ZDP] FAQ Tool Working Group

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:10:44 +0100

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Martijn Faassen writes:
> >> Is there a version of Docbook that is XML?
> >Not that I know of. I think it's strictly SGML.
>
> See Normal Walsh's page at http://www.nwalsh.com/sgml/index.html ;
> he's written an XML version of the DocBook DTD.  (He also has a book
> about DocBook coming out soon from O'Reilly.)

Oops. Cool!

>         In general it's best to write structure into text from the
> beginning, because, while it's easy to discard structural information
> when you have it, it's near-impossible to derive structural
> information when you don't have it.

Agreed. That's why I'm doing all this random blabbering about SGML/XML.
I don't know much about it, but I know it's important to get the
semantic, structural information in there. The rest can be derived
later.

>         On the other hand, if printed output isn't of primary
> importance, and it may not be for a FAQ, then something simple may be
> enough.

That's why I'm starting with something simple (plain ascii structured
text). But XML'ish features are nice... And a more powerful tool could
also be used for other purposes than just the ZDP as well, of course.
Local tech support FAQs for instance would be a way to introduce Zope to
lots of intranets.

Regards,

Martijn