[ZDP] Re: Resent: FAQ Tool Working Group

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:20:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Some things that would be nice:
>
> * Easy uploading of Structured Text formatted questions and answers.

I believe that a more 'structured' approach is better otherwise we will
all need to agree on a common structured-text format. For instance
looking at the structure of your submitted FAQ I could not easily see a
way to add section information or meta-data like author, submitted time
etc. Of course some can be created automatically upon submission but the
functionality should be there.

> * Lots of different output formats; Structured Text and HTML perhaps
> initially, later on Docbook SGML or possibly a FAQ SGML format about
> there was some discussion, as well. The SGML can then be translated into
> lots of stuff. Easy downloads of all these outputs.

I have changed the Zope FAQ site to support Stuctured-text and XML.

> * Multiple sections
>
> * Ability to move question/answer pairs from one section to another.
> Also possibly the ability to hyperlink (does a question involving how to
> call External Methods from DTML belong in the DTML section or the
> External Methods section? Both, it would seem, so put it in one section
> and hyperlink from the other).

Right now is very easy to move entries around as each question resides in
a folder which is contained in a corresponding section folder. It is a
matter of cutting and pasting.

> * A comment system; people can add comments to existing FAQs. The editor
> can then later choose to include some of these comments into the FAQ
> text itself.

You can submit an answer to an already existing question. Both will be
shown. Is this enough?

> * A 'contributor's section in which random individuals can upload new
> questions, and questions with answers. The editor can then later move
> these to appropriate sections and edit them for inclusion in the list.
> Alternatively each section has a contributor's department.

Oh now I see. Well I quess I can arrange it so that any new submissions go
in a different folder

> * Versioning system. At the very least timestamp each question and
> answer with the last edit date; possibly store older versions of
> question/answer pairs. Ability for users to see all FAQs that were
> recently updated, or that are new (in a particular section?).

Hmm I need some help on this. Right now questions are timestamped.

I have made all the suggested changes and you can view the results at:
http://www.gaaros.com:9673/FAQ

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions

Pavlos