[ZDP] moving on.

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 7 May 1999 14:37:09 -0400

ZPublisher is an ORB.  ORB is a pretty generic term, it's like saying
Mailer.  elm is a mailer, pine is a mailer, ZPublisher is an ORB.

The important function of the ORB is traversal.  The ORB takes a
request, and translates that request by walking down the object
heirarchy, into a method call of some form.

It is important to understand that ZPublisher is protocol independent.
Although most of the time HTTP is used, it is also possible to use FTP,
XML-RPC, and theoretically CORBA (although there is no current
implimentation of either XML-RPC or CORBA).

If you want to truely understand this, I would recomment reading:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ObjectPublishingIntro

and

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ORB

and

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ZPublisher

and

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/Trinkets

for a truely intimate understanding of ZPublisher.

-Michel