[ZDP] REVIEW: Proposed Zope Developer's Guide Outline

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 19 May 1999 12:33:25 +0200

Amos Latteier wrote:

> Fellow Documenters
>
> I've finally gotten enough time to start thinking about putting together
> a full-fledged Zope Developer's Guide.

Cool!

> Today I put together a proposed outline, and I'm looking for feedback.
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Projects/ZDG/

Briefly glancing over it, it looks good. It lists lot of topics and has
useful pointers to documentation artifacts. Its strongest point is that
it's the most extensive list of Zope topics I've seen yet.

> I'm interested in your ideas about what should be covered and the
> general organization of the guide. I'm also interested in how this
> project fits in with other ZDP projects (can you tell I haven't been
> following the ZDP list too carefully ;-)

Independently the ZDP has also worked on a categorization of the
documentation artifacts. We want a consistent accessible system for
documenting Zope. We've also been branching out in various directions,
such as the famous still vaporware CoolFAQ tool, the even more
mysterious CoolDoc system, and more practically, a book style
documentation of aspects of Zope.

Could the ZDP librarian people who are looking to map the various Zope
resources look at Amos' document and think about ways to combine it what
we're doing? We need to avoid doing the same thing twice. I think what
the ZDP has so far 'guide' wise is table of contents information slanted
more towards an introduction to Zope, while Amos has a more complete
catalog of all Zope topics. Now how should we integrate all that?

In general, somehow we have to allow the following things:

* Allow enterprising documenteers to generate lots of documentation
without hassle and bureaucracy slowing them down.

* Establish a system (i.e. hassle and bureaucracy :) to organize and
present consistently this documentation to the end user (and avoid doing
the same work twice).

Please send your opinions and ideas to the list. :)

Regards,

Martijn