[ZDP] Re: [Zope] Zope vs CVS (Re: [ZDP] OpenContent issues)

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 19 May 1999 09:18:52 -0400

Simon Michael wrote:

> I wrote:
> > CVS is used to provide & control access to the files.
>
> We also have the option to use zope to provide distributed access.
> This would be a good public demonstration of zope power.
>
> Some advantages of using CVS:
> - most powerful version control & logging of who did what
> - widespread & standard - excellent tools like cvsweb ready-made
> - supports working offline & merging with master copy
>
> Some advantages of using zope:
> - demonstrates zope to potential users
> - simple through-the-web authoring - CVS is too tricky for many
> - advanced functionality can be added if needed
> - learning exercise

IMO, a major disadvantage of CVS is that it is mostly "file"
oriented.  In many (most) cases, multiple files evolve together.
It isn't correct to use a particular version file without using
compatible versions of other files.  CVS has a feature to tag
collections of files to represent a configuration of files with
compatible versions, but you don't get to provide meta-data for tags
and tags are an advanced feature that seems somewhat "tacked on".

Zope, on the other hand, is transaction oriented.  Zope tracks meta-data
for transactions, not individual objects.  This is a much saner approach,
IMO.

> I have been debating this zope/cvs issue myself, in regard to an
> intranet which I maintain which currently uses CVS to allow
> distributed authoring. Switching to zope will allow me to provide an
> easier interface & more features, but I don't want to give up the
> advantages of CVS either. I haven't thought of a good way to combine
> the two.
>
> Question: has the latest webDAV support resolved this dilemma, or will
> it soon ?

It will impact this issue eventually.  I can't say how soon.

Jim

repeats.