[ZDP] RFD: "Zope Snippets"

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 12:51:32 +0100

To:             	Rik Hoekstra <hoekstra@fsw.leidenu
> > Perhaps in a FAQ-ish format/snippet repository? How do I...? Can Zope
> > do... Perhaps the old ZDP thoughts about the CoolFaq design (much
> > simplified) could be of use? Using keywords would make them easily
> > accessible and indexable from a ZCatalog.
>
> To be honest, I can see a lot of the use being more just as something
> you browse. The absolute best way to acquire (not Acquire) ZopeZen(tm)
> is through small simple examples that illustrate a single thing. Well,
> IMHO, anyway.

I don't think our points of view are that far apart. With the
FAQ/ZCat remark I meant more a means of making the examples more
easily browsable by using the keywords. The power of ZCatalog is to
easily give different browsing possibilities. Just browsing snippets
by (alphabetic) title or _only_ by bobo_modification_time is a bit
limited I think.

Compare the rapidly growing list of HowTo's at the zope.org site (no
offense meant)) IMHO it would be much more useful if they would be
browsable by a simple keyword system (Zope internals, authentication,
installing, ZClasses, etc), a bit like the Collector has.

> Zope programming really is _very_ different to anything else I've ever
> been exposed to - this results in a whole different set of patterns and
> basic ways to do stuff.

Certainly.

<snip>

Rik