[ZDP] Win32Installation - Draft 1

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 16:15:17 +0200

At 15:42 07/10/99 , kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com wrote:
>4. Copy zope.pcgi and pcgi\bin\pcgi-wrapper.exe into IIS's CGI scripts
>directory (\cgi-bin).

You don't need to copy pcgi-wrapper at all. This is actually a potential
security hole.

>5. Add a new extension mapping to IIS for PCGI. In the Microsoft Management
>  Console, select your site's Properties, and then under the 'Home
>Directory' tab click on 'Configuration'. Here you should be able to add a
>new extension linking .pcgi to 'pcgi-wrapper %s'.

Link the .pcgi extension to X:\Path\To\Zope\pcgi\Win32\pcgi-wrapper.exe

>Starting Zope for the first time
>
>- Modify the Zope startup script by adding the option '-p zope.pcgi'.

Make that -p X:\Path\to\cgi-bin\Zope.pcgi

that way you don't have to keep duplicate Zope.pcgi files around.

>- If you installed Zope as a Windows NT Service, you will have to edit the
>registry key:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
>                      <Service Name>\Parameters\start
>
>Add '-p zope.pcgi' after ?start?.

Ditto.

>- Make sure that IIS and Zope are both started up, and try accessing your
>server via 'http://localhost/cgi-bin/zope.pcgi/'
>This should give you the same thing as ?http://localhost:8080/?.

You also need to make sure that IIS doesn't replace Zope's error messages,
because this messaes up a lot of things like authentication with the IE 5
browser. My text (now in WEBSERVER.txt in the CVS, with the next version of
Zope):

"* IIS 4.0 throws away Zope's error messages by default. This behavior
  can create quite a few problems, including authentication problems.

  Microsoft prides itself on the clear error messages that IIS 4.0 presents,
  when the user makes a mistake. These error messages are implemented in the
  form of Custom Error handlers, that return a file, or URL to a user when a
  certain error occurs.

  This means, that when you forget to fill in an Id when you want to create,
  say, a new SQL Method, Zope's clear error message is replaced by IIS's
  totally irrelevant error message. Also, it completely breaks authentication
  when the user uses IE5.0 when trying to log into a secure area of the
  server. These Custom Error handlers are enabled by default.

  Luckily, the handlers can quite easily be switched off:

  Open the IIS website in the Management Console, and navigate to the folder
  you put the PCGI executable in. If you named your Zope installation 'Zope',
  it will be called 'Zope.exe'. Double-click on that file. A property page
  will appear. Select the 'Custom Errors' tab. Now, select every HTTP Error
  code in the listbox that doesn't have type 'Default', and click on the 'Set
  to Default' button for each one. This will disable IIS overriding the error
  message returned by Zope.

  Click OK, and voila, Zope is allowed to tell the world what it thinks went
  wrong.
"

It still refers to the old (Zope 1.x) Zope.exe, just change that to Zope.pcgi.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer