[ZDP] 5 points for discussion

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
11 Oct 1999 13:12:30 -0700

Tom Deprez <tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> I forgot our loginname/password on the zope site :-(.

ZDP, sandbox

> Perhaps someone can put a link there to the ZDP one and put it on
> the Zope news?

I logged in as ZDP and created a private news item to see how it
works. ( http://www.zope.org/Members/ZDP/19991011-zbook-status-page )

To submit this for the front page, we just click the button on the
Catalog management tab and it gets listed subject to approval. You
could do this now, but first I'd like to offer a few points for
discussion:

1. what kinds of event should ZDP announce as news items ? I think
Tom's page qualifies. Let's agree so that ZDP news items are somewhat
consistent. Perhaps a pre-announcement here on the list would ensure
this. The DC moderator has final say of course.

2. I propose that when creating news items, our ids should follow some
consistent scheme such as the above: YYYYMMDD-short-title.

3. I propose that the first ZDP news item that we post should announce
the Members/ZDP page and the zdp.zope.org site and their relationship.

4. as I understand it, this is our current policy: Members/ZDP is
purely for news announcements and for raising awareness of
zdp.zope.org.  All actual ZDP content will be on zdp.zope.org, or at
least linked there.

Personally I still think we'd make our lives easier by using
Members/ZDP as the primary ZDP site.  But if not, I propose we make it
redirect to zdp.zope.org, so that there is only one visible ZDP home
page.

5. furthermore, how can we ensure that the ZDP home page keeps up to
date. Call me radical but I say add a big "edit this page" link, no
password required - in that case I would fix it right now. Or, someone
with access there could commit to incorporating anything mentioned in
a ZDP news item. All suggestions welcome!

-Simon