[ZDP] ZBook

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:56:03 +1000

Thanks Luciano,

Come vai ? :)

This is really a good news for the project.

So would it be correct if we now assume that you are taking the External
Method chapter ? (Please reply)

As of now, there is no editorial guidelines as such. So it's quite up to
you in structuring your content. This is probably one of the problem
that we need to address, but I think we are all still probing for the
best way in presenting our content.

However, we do have a 'unwritten' rule, which is *there is never too
much examples*. And another, each chapter, whenever applicable, should
contains exercises questions, that challenged the reader in solving a
certain specific problem. The answer should be provided, probably in a
separate appendix. This approach would make ZBook extremely useful for
teaching Zope in university.

There is no imposed limit, minimum or maximum, number of pages your
chapter should have. In simplicity, the more the better. But it still
depends on how you write your chapter.

I recommend that you post your writing often, even they are not
complete. They are helpful in generating feedback and comment from other
member in the team.

And we do have two copy editors in the team. So this would help in your
writing as well.

As a starting point, you can assume that user has already known Python.
There is already another chapter dedicated for Python in Zope. However,
assume that the user knows nothing about External Method, what it is,
how to install it, and how to write and use it.

This some topics in your chapter that might be useful for you. Not
necceesarilly in order.

1. Installing External methods
	- The directory
	- Configuring Zope console.

2. Calling external methods from DTML.

3. Tips in writing External Methods
	- Pure function.
	- Exposing object methods thru external methods.

4. Using external methods as the 'core' of a Zope application logic.

5. using external methods as a way in storing and retrieving data.
(another alternative to ZSQL) -- This could be the material for another
chapter (--storing methods in Zope--).

6. What the difference in usage, a product and External methods.

So we are looking forward for your contribution.

Again, thank you for helping.

regards,

dody