[ZDP] Publisher's Response to ZBook Request

lpetrycki@mcp.com lpetrycki@mcp.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:54:59 -0500

First of all I'd like to thank you all for your interest.

We, at New Riders Publishing, are very interested in unique publishing
opportunities whether it be topic, creative authorship, or alternate
delivery formats. We're willing to take risks for a good opportunity. We're
also interested in trying to give something back to the open source
community while still maintaining a profitable business.

Please take a look at the Open Publication License,
http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/, to get an idea of the type of
publishing model we've implemented on selected titles. The license will give
you an idea of how we believe material can be used for free in many cases
while maintaining the ability for a publisher to sell paper copies of a
book. We have one book in print under the OPL, Havoc Pennington's GTK+/Gnome
Application Development.

I'd be open to working with a group of you to devise a publishing strategy
and the accompanying plan to deliver the book or books to the market. I
would like to see one person take the lead editor role. This person would be
the conduit in which decisions and manuscript would flow.

I'll await your comments.

Laurie

Laurie Petrycki
Executive Editor