[ZDP] A publisher for ZBook?

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:21:56 +0100

> Did anyone read what Laurie Petrycki of NR just wrote? The book would be
> published under the OPL, which means that they have the right to publish it
> commercially, but that we, as the authors can do with it what we deem
> right, as long as it fits under the OPL! This includes publishing the book
> online, or with any other publisher.
>
> It also give the right to any other publisher to pick it up and publish it
> themselves. Any significant changes should be marked, and it is considered
> good form to inform the author(s), but they cannot restrict anyone else on
> using it either.

as long as the copyright remains intact, I take it.

> I think that this is a great opportunity to promote Zope and the ZDP, and
> _the_ motivation to actually finish this project!

I agree. It's just that someone should find the time to be the main
editor. And editing a collaborative work such as ZBook is not going
to be a piece of cake. We could lighten the burden a bit by assigning
separate editors for separate subsections of the book, though. In the
sense that the ZBook would not quite be 'one story', but more of a
volume of coherent contributions, together making up the book length
documentation of Zope. THis would allow for (at least slighter) more
overlap between chapters and a greater variety of style.

On the other hand I do not see problems with
concurrent/complementary/hybrid publishing forms. Perhaps the book
should not contain more material, but it will almost certainly be
cheaper (and less annoying/time consuming) to buy a printed book than
printing a (say) pdf file yourself. And reading still is done much
easier on paper than on the screen. The digital version has other
advantages: it's easier searchable, if using Zope (in combination
with XML) it may be organized in many ways, and it can easily be
adapted and updated. Examples fit more nicely into the text if you
have an electronic version. Etcetera.

> Crawling-back-into-hiding-ly your's,

Unfortunately

not-so-prominently-here-either