[ZDP] ZDP Editor for NW [longish]

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:47:47 +0100

Date sent:      	Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:28:22 -0500
From:           	Ute Methner <ute@idirect.com>
To:             	Tom Deprez <tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>
Copies to:      	zdp@zope.org
Subject:        	Re: [ZDP] ZDP Editor for NW [longish]

> I am receiving the postings to this list only sporadically and not
> sequentially, so I am not sure where this discussion is at. If I am
> way off mark with my post, ...please tell me.

You seem to be right on target to me

> Tom, it's great that you have decided to be the coordinator (please,
> stop hitting yourself on the knees, we need you in good form to run
> with this project <grin>).
>
> > Ute is certainly right about the style-issue... There isn't one yet... So,
> > perhaps Ute can make a decision about the style?
> >
> I'd be happy to set up a style guide. Though
> I am grasping here to  get a feel of what it happening with the
> publications. Does ZDP want to 'single source' (same content
> structure in hardcopy and in electronic format, <I am working
> on my master's degree in technical writing, so occasionally I can't
> resist throwing out these words>)? If yes, this will save
> time and energy but needs some planning from someone :(.
> So, before I send you to sleep expounding on the differences
> between writing electronic and hardcopy documents
> in a style guide ... please decide if single sourcing is the way
> to go. This has not been made clear in the posts I have received so far.

Earlier today I posted a mail with something about this point. If we want the
 two types of publication to be something more than just two means of distributing
the same text, do not think single sourcing would be the way to go.
WHile a paper text is (much) more easily read, electronic documents have many
more and other interesting possiblities escaping paper limitations of linearity and
confinement to text with pictures, especially with Zope (in
combination with XML) (actually this was so great about the CoolFAQ
idea; unfortunately it was just vaporware)

> I would also like to go a little further than a document style guide
> and that is to give you some tips on writing per se. For this, I am
> going to assume that the writing team consists of a combination of
> native
> and non-native English-speakers. If this is wrong, please tell me.

Assume non-native, the native speakers can ignore the obvious parts.

Rik