[ZDP] managing zope projects in a structured fashion

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:07:26 -0400

This question would probably best be asked on the zope list, not the zdp
list.

<snip>

> the problem actually looks like this: we want to set up some
> special folder
> classes for a certain project that should not be available to other
> projects. the most obvious way to do so seems to be creating
> a corresponding
> product, creating a factory and simply add instances of our
> custom folder
> object to the project's main folder.
>
> this way of dealing with the problem has one serious disadvantage: the
> global 'products'-folder will surely get terribly bloated if we should
> migrate all of our projects (abou 50 websites at this time)
> to zope, and the
> same will surely happen to the 'add object'-selectbox.

You can restrict who can add what object by Role.  Thus, if a user is in
a role that can only see 'Site X' they will only be able to add object
(and only see those objects in the add folder) that they have permission
to add.  This is done with Permission objects.

This compliments well with the security paradigm of Zope, where you
compartmentalize users by role anyway.

> the question is: is there any way to create a products-folder
> as a subfolder
> of a given project's base folder? or is there at least some
> way to organize
> products via subfolders of the common products-folder?

No.

> i really don't want to push you, but the decision of wether
> using zope or
> continuing to use php3 has to be made during the following 5
> days, so i
> would be terribly happy if you could answer soon.

Hope you make the right decision! ;)

-Michel