[ZDP] move to zope.org ?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:47:44 +0200

At 01:15 28/09/99 , Dody Gunawinata wrote:

>Simon Michael wrote:
> >
> > Look at the buzz on zope.org - howtos, member pages, etc. How about
> > moving ZDP content to the zope.org site ? For example, we could create
> > a member "ZDP" with a known password.
> >
> > Possible advantages:
> >
> > - more obvious & active location; more potential
> users/contributors/developers
> > - simpler, more open maintenance procedure
> > - latest Zope 2 functionality
> > - get a search engine for free
> > - helps reduce fragmentation of zope docs
> >
> > Comments?
>*Those* are real advantages.
>
>The problem is with ZBook, because in Zope member site, all the pages in
>enclosed in the standard table layout. If you find a way
>to get around this, then it could be a good solution. Although the
>*power* of having real Zope installation for ZDP alone (as we have now)
>is intoxicating :)
>
>The best thing would be to have ZDP logo at the main page and have our
>current Zope installation upgraded (Any reason we can't upgrade now ?),
>but I guess that would only possible once we got our act together and
>make a clean page for ZDP.

Brian Brown, our benevolent hoster of zdp.zope.org, recently contacted me
and said he would upgrade. I forwarded his message to this list a few days ago.

>At this point, all Zope documentation seems to be sporadic and well, uh
>in Anarchy. ZBook framework probably would probably be our salvation. If
>we done this right, all how-to's writer can work together in a framework
>that offers the definitive guide to Zope, from the dummies
>to the wizards.

I think we will first have to wait for Tom Deprez to return from vacation
(I assume he is, because he also doesn't respond to direct mail right now).
He wrote the ZBook, not as a framework, but as a way to learn Zope himself.
It would only be fair to ask his opinion on the subject.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer