[ZDP] Discussion on Threaded Discussion

kamon ayeva kayeva@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:41:24 GMT

Extract from discussion between Rik and Maik:

> > Why a discussions folder class and a discussions class? Can discussions
>also
> > be added to places elsewhere.
>
>Threaded discussions are separated into DiscussionFolders and
>Discussions so
>that you can give different rights to different Roles.
>DiscussionsFolders are added by Moderators, while Discussions can be
>added
>by Visitors. For completeness's sake, we are also planning to perhaps
>add a
>DiscussionRoom which only a Manager can add, but this is not decided
>yet.

[Rik] Yes, ok, but does this mean that discussion could only take place
inside
a dicussion folder. Wouldn't it be a good idea to allow moderators also
to add a dicussion thread to any item. In this way a discussion is
attached to any subject by a moderator, so to say. I realize this is
extending functionality, but perhaps later on. It's more an idea than
anything else.

[Kamon] I agree that a moderator that has a certain right on a specific item
should be able to create a discussion on it. Thus a discussion thread will
be attached to the object. Hmm, while thinking about this, I found maybe we
also need a DiscussionThread class. This is the container object that is
added each time a discussion is created in the context of an object
anywhere.
In the case of centralised discussions, a DiscussionsThread is added to a
DiscussionsFolder.
In the case of non-centralised discussions, a DiscussionsThread is added by
itself attached to the discussed object.
What do you think ?

--Kamon