[ZDP] Book

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:49:01 +0100

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> "They" (can't give names at the moment) asked me to write a book on Zope.
> I'm flattered and interested, but also somewhat worried about how this
> fits in with the ZDP project (and ZBook -- what's the status there?). I
> haven't been much involved with the ZDP for a long time now, but I did
> start it early on and still feel connected to it. If I'm to write this
> book the ZDP would be one of my prime resources.

So, how many book offers/processes would that make then all in all?

> But, it's unclear at the moment what the relationship between me and the
> ZDP would be in such a circumstance. I don't want to just take from the
> ZDP, I'd also like to contribute. I'm not quite sure how to do that, though, as
> this book is unlikely to be completely open content. I could work on
> ZDP documentation at the same time, but that may be duplication of
> effort.

In a formal sense, I believe you have every right to do so, as we have
been stating that everything on the zdp site was open content. You would
have to give ample credits, though, as I believe that open content
leaves personal rights untouched (it is just concerned with legal and
money things, and I don't think/hope you can alienate personal rights
anyway). But I'm sure perusal of the docs at zdp would be no problem.

> Anyway, I just don't know yet, and that's why I'm mailing this to the
> list. Ideally there should be some way to make us all work smoothly
> together to the advantage of all parties. So, I'm hoping you people have
> ideas and opinions on this. I'd like your feedback to help me work things
> out.

Well, there certainly are many items the zdp doesn't touch upon. If you
want i'm sure you'll be able to find some way of 'pre-' or 'post-'
publication if you cover grounds the zdp does not cover. Or use the site
as an outlet for code samples?

my 2 cents

Rik