[ZDP] Réf. : Modularizing Zope (Was [ZDP] DC's Zope Do cumentation Plan) cumentation Plan)

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:43:55 +0100

Hi Paul,

From your mail:
>A proposal has been floated here to move our repository to SourceForge.
>We would also use it as an opportunity to break the Zope code into
>separately-released packages such as zope-dtml, zope-zodb, etc.  The
>mailing lists might be re-organized accordingly.  At select points we'd
>wrap everything together as a Zope release.
>
>There are strong benefits.  Sourceforge is on a fast link, presumably
>with fast machines behind it.  They have a system where people can get
>their SSH accounts setup and module owners can include developers, all
>without a sysadmin getting involved.
>
>The major downside is brand.  We'd be turning part of our developer
>community brand over to another entity.  Some have argued that this
>would reflect poorly.
>
>Let me know what you think, both pros and cons.
>
>--Paul

Externalising on-going Zope modules to SourceForge may have a downside
impact on _image_ (DC and Zope) and _developer community focus_.
But if set up correctly it can bring a lot of improvements without
sacrificing the strengh of the developer community. As you said, mailists
need to be setup and work efficiently, with a link to the proper download
page for each module.

--Kamon