[ZDP] ZCL Dicussion

Rik Hoekstra Rik.Hoekstra@inghist.nl
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 15:03:02 +0100

>>As I saw it, a reference material become an Appendix.
>
>Yep reference as appendix
>
>>To complete the picture, we have to add Howtos to Tutorials.
>>So here we go:
>>
>>*PART I Core content (with links to other parts)
>>
>>*PART II Tutorials, Mini-tutorials and How-tos
>>(With the possibility for some people to extend a how-to and transform it
>>in a tutorial...)
>>
>>*APPENDIX
>>
>Hummm, I see it a little bit different :
>
>In ZCL5 it looks like ZDP will become ZBook.

Perhaps that's too much

>I see it like this :
>
>ZDP contains following projects :
>
>ZBook
>ZTutorials
>ZHowTo's
>ZFAQ
>ZSnippets
>ZIT
>ZQR
>..?
>
>ZTutorials : writing tutorials in a proposed layout (thus look is same)
>ZHow-To's : are more or like the same as ZTutorials :-), but not that
>explained and lengthly
>ZFAQ: resort for asking questions (and hoping some answers)
>ZSnippets : small information
>ZIT : installation tree
>ZQR : Quick reference

OK so far so good

>Now, ZBook deals with making text around Zope (like a normal book) (was my
>first idea, see first 2 chapters). From ZBook we can link to interesting
>tutorials (if they are already written, if not, we first write a ZTutorial
>which then can be linked). Also when writing text around something and
>we've a howto or tutorial, we can link from ZBook to this tutorial/howto.
>When expanding ZBook, we look at the FAQ list and try to make new chapters
>from them (even if needed incorporate howtos to them).

The point I have been trying to make, is that some of the stuff in some of the tutorial should be seen as a topical treatment of Zope design and that they are crucial to understanding Zope. If we see tutorials as a set of recipes and core content as a more generic treatment of Zope's architecture and building Zope applications, I think the differences are solved. Then the ZCL would look like

Part I
ZBook Core Content
Part II
ZBook Topical Content (now: some of the tutorials with more generic text)
Appendices
Contains reference material

Does this sound reasonable?

Rik