[ZDP] (no subject)

Hoekstra Hoekstra@fsw.LeidenUniv.nl
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:06:15 +0100

<snip first part of new ZCL>
> "Changing context in Zope" from Rik is candidate here, I suppose.

OK. But it covers it only partially I'm afraid. I am willing to
extend the chapter into something more comprising about acquisition. I'm
also willing to give the Zope Object Model a shot, but I may need some help
there... (haven't seen this outlined anywhere). I'll post an content of the
current draft shortly.

> actually go in III.
> If it is splitted, it can become:
>
> III.1 Z Framework (or "the Zope Machinery")

In light of earlier discussions on the Zope lists it would be very
desirable to come to some sort of coherent picture of 'what to use
when'. As currently there is no such thing as a best practices in
programming ZOpe, we might try to produce some sort of outline,
discuss it and then throw it onto the Zope lists for comments. This
is a battle we still have to fight; still it should be fought I
think... What do you all think about this point.

>      III.1.1 How to program Zope i.e. Zope Templates
>      III.1.2 Main DTML tags (by someone else ?).

Dody already began something

>      III.1.3 Zope SQL Methods -

is there anything ready as yet?

>      III.1.4 Zope External Methods (by someone else ?)

Perhaps we could ask Evan SImpson to contribute something about
architecture and limitations. But as yet Python Methods are not yet
stabilized as standard  Zope component so we should also ask DC for a
comment on that.

>      III.1.5 Zope Python Methods (by someone else ?)

this is mostly python. The Zope parts are not difficult (except for
argument passing which still is a bit, um, baroque. But I suppose that is true
for all Zope pragramming. So that would mean a more comprising treatment?)

>      etc...
> What do you think ?

Looks good.

Do other people agree ?