[ZDP] Z Framework/Dev best practices

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:43:54 +0100

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com wrote:
[snip]
> I just saw that people have started the "Zope Product Guidelines" on
> zope-dev.

'People' being me, old-time ZDP guy Martijn Faassen. :) I'm trying to
get the ball rolling on that issue; it's not only a documentation issue
(I'd come here), but also that there simply are no clear guidelines yet,
so we'll have to make them up.

> This is really for advanced users that understand Zope API's.

The problem is that we currently don't understand enough of them yet.
But we're working on them.

> Maybe it could be added as an appendix to zbook ?

We'll see what the document evolves into first. Once it's starting to
contain actual information (it's a skeleton right now) we could run ZDP
editing over it, bringing it into line with the rest of the ZDP
documents.

> Now, I agree that we at zdp should work on a document like "Zope
> development best practices" coming in the core of the book.

I agree -- that would be a very nice document. There could be stuff in
there that's currently spread over some HOWTO's; DTML Method versus DTML
Document, when to use ZODB, when relational database, and so on. Right
way to 'factor' dynamic web pages into multiple methods. Strategies to
build a clean Zope website (i.e. how to best avoid polluting your root
dir with a zillion methods? Something the website at the vet department
hasn't managed to avoid :).

Regards,

Martijn