[ZDP] Re: ZDP News Folders

Emmanuel Rousselle eroussel@maestria.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 08:41:43 +0500

At 08:24 PM 1/16/00 +0100, Tom Deprez wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I want to brainstorm with you all on the ZDP news folders. With the help of
>the NewsFolder we can place everyware News updates.
>However I think that we must be careful with placing lot's of news-pages.
>I'm in for the idea that every project should have it's own newsfolder, but
>we also should have a general news page (eg the stuff I'm now doing weekly)
>and not more newspages.

I kind of agree. Having a single news page that aggregates news item from
various projects would be nice, but this doesn't mean each project cannot
have a news page of its own.

That way if you want to know what has happened in all projects, you can,
but if you are only interested in one project, you can get at the info
without having to filter yourself the news items that are not of interest
to you.

There should be a way to specify the number of news items on a project's
new page for obvious reasons (the rest of news items would be available by
following a "to archive" link). On the "consolidated" news page there
should be a mechanism to ensure that all projects have the same "exposure":
the idea is to prevent the case where just a few projects fill up the news
space - because they have a lot of news items that week - and prevent some
other project news to be "posted".

There is one thing that could be improved on the current news list: instead
of having the first few words of the weekly ZDP "newsletter", why not
display some kind of summary of the items discussed? Like: "Guidelines for
product writers, ZCL progresses, Check-out the cool ZDP-Tools, bla bla
bla". You get the idea.

--
Emmanuel Rousselle