[ZDP] Re: [Zope] FAQ Wiki and What happend @ O'Reilly Conference

Fiona Czuczman fiona@sitegnome.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 00:59:36 +1000

Hi Alan,

A couple of weeks ago I wrote to the list regarding setting up a FAQ for
zope.  It is in the beginning stages ->

http://zope.faqts.com

I've been busy so have only got so far as adding 11 questions.

Take a look at http://python.faqts.com to get an idea on how the zope
knowledge base could be developed, it has taken me two months to get the
python knowledge base to the level it is at now, more than 700 questions
with answers.  I'm developing the python list be summarizing the
newsgroup daily, for zope I'm intending on also working on this daily.
I had a major project which I finished about 2 hours ago :-) ... as a
relief I decided to start on the zope work, where I've found your mail.

I'm not interested in creating something in direct opposition to what
you are suggesting.  Is there some way that we could work on this
together, either together creating zope.faqts.com or my helping with
http://www.zope.org/Members/runyaga/ZopeFAQs/FrontPage ?

Things I like about FAQTs

- the hierarchy of folders (information)
- the ability to create folders and arrange content
- the possibility to edit answers and maintain a version history
- the admin stuff (for sending out summaries back to the mailing list)
- ability to search questions and answers (works really well)

This work I am doing 'off my own bat', FAQTs does pay me for python but
_not_ zope, so I am able to do it somewhere else.  Because I already
have a mode of working off the FAQTs site it seemed reasonable to start
the zope knowledge base off that site.  But, mails like yours make me
think about fragmenting resources and how useless that is, especially
now when it seems resources are limited.

Now, before I get too far into it, I want to make sure I've made the
right decision... I don't want to compete with zdp.zope.org or with what
you are suggesting.

So, I want to help but where?

Could we help each other: share questions and answers for all locations?
Therefore taking advantage of the different features of the different
sites?

Is that a ridiculous suggestion? Perhaps initially it would work ...
later re-assess?

Otherwise, I'll work off whichever site the community would prefer... so
community, please respond :-)

Thanks,

Fiona