[ZDP] Re: [Zope] Products vs. ZClasses- Design Question

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:04:14 +0200

Hi Jimmie !

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> > This sounds weird ! Well, every page on the ZDP site has a Maintainer,
> > and that is displayed on the top right. If you click on that link,
> > you get to the member page, where the email exists.
>
> I go back again to make sure of what I saw. In the upper right side, all
> that is there is 'Contributed by maik'. It is not a link. It goes
> neither to a member page of the maintainer nor provides a mailto: link.
> This is in Win95 Netscape. When I view the source I didn't anything
> there but text in a table.

This is a bug specific to the Portal, which has a folder called members,
and unfortunately, I am using just this name in the DTML script that
fetches the information out of the members folder that holds the actual
member information.

<dtml-with members>
<dtml-if "The_Maintainer in objectIds(['Member'])">
Maintainer: <A HREF="/members/<dtml-var The_Maintainer>/">
<dtml-var The_Maintainer></A>
<dtml-else>
Contributed by <dtml-var The_Maintainer>
</dtml-if>
</dtml-with>

I have changed the portal name to zdpmembers, and now it works again.

> > You also have to see that the topics in the ZDP-Portal
> > are normally not related in a way like an article is,
> > so I have not added a navigation, even though I had considered it.
>
> I don't think it is a problem for unrelated content or articles. It also
> doesn't necessarily have to be site wide thing. In this particular
> instance all three were related to each other and referenced each other
> via the pros and cons.

In this case I will have to make explicit links to the related content,
like you propose. It is worth the extra effort.

> If you think date is not a good indicator of currency, then howabout
> having Zope versions with which it is accurate for ?

The date will play a role when the changes history of documents
is implemented.

> ie: Works with Zope
> 2.x or Zope 2.2.x, etc. or even a range 2.0-2.1.x. This would allow for
> changes in Zope which break certain things. For example any information
> on the security model changes between 2.1.x and 2.2.x.
> Doing it this way makes it less date dependent. It also allows for
> people who are using older versions of Zope to understand if it is
> relevant for them.

In my opinion, things like that should be noted in the text, or in
the changes history (Something like "adopted to Zope 2.2 security model
on 22nd of July 2000).

> > I have noticed that product as well, but didn't find the
> > time to check it out (There is no info on the product
> > page).
>
> I haven't either. Just thought it seemed relevant to the topic.

It is relevant, and the portal is supposed to spare you the time
to check out everything on your own. If someone has checked out
this product, please add your knowledge to the Portal.

> > Maybe you can help by adding a draft to the relevant topics,
> > that can replace the description that exists ?
>
> Not at this time, sorry.

No problem. Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Maik Röder

--
Open Source is "about being able to work together with people you've
never  met, on projects that  are in  a constant state  of flux,  on