[ZDP] Congratulations, nitpicking and suggestions

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 01:19:31 +0100

Hi Alexandre !

Alexandre Ratti wrote:
> > > I like the link items in the FAQ system, too: that's very useful to point
> > > new users to in-depth documentation.
> >
> >I may change this a little bit, making this flat view optional and without
> >the links. I am having problems integrating all the management stuff into
> >one view,
>
> I suppose you're refering to the yellow admin area that contains a lot of
> links.

Yes, but also note that the visitors also sometimes see a part of this
for example when they cann add a comment.

> Have you considered creating an additional narrow (eg. 3 cm) column on the
> right side of the window to store all these links? This column would only
> show when the viewer has admin rights. Then the admin area would take as
> much screen space.

Another idea would be to remove the link buttons on the left, and to completely
replace them for the admin interface ! Still, it may be ok to move the admin
links to the right too.

We have been considering removing the buttons to the left completely, so
we would have greater freedom for adding more useful and context sensitive
links. We don't really need the global links, because the breadcrumbs
should be enough. When people want to go to a completely new section
of the site, they can click on the ZDP link (Oops, seems like the
breadcrumbs need to get another link to the main ZDP page.)

> >because here we could have the following Management interfaces on
> >one page together with all their respective services like Comments, Links
> >and so forth.

Maybe services to the left and management to the right ?

> >1. FAQ Section
> >2. FAQ Question
> >3. FAQ Answer
> >
> >I think it is best to have a list of questions and when you click on the
> >question you see the Question plus the Answer.
>
> Plus the links / related info?

Yes.

> Would you still be able to print out easily all questions and answers
> within the section? I think this is important. It could be done from a
> separate page with a different template, though.

FAQ Sections should just get a Link to a "Flat View" of the FAQ Section.
This should be easy to accomplish. Will have to wait until tomorrow.

> >Have a look at the standard Template, then create a Printing_Template,
> >and add a link to standard_html_footer in the root of ZDP, just like
> >on zope.org.
>
> OK, I added a printing template in "DocumentFolderClass", I added
> standard_printing_header and standard_printing_footer in the root and I
> included a link to the printing template in the standard_html_footer.
> It's working, though I'll need to prettify it a bit.

Looks great ! I removed this option from the main page, because it
did not work. The reason is that the main page is not a subclass of
DocumentFolder, where the Printing_Template resides.

> >I think that Zope should provide
> >a way to keep an order on Folder items. Perhaps you know about a solution ?
>
> I remember Itamar published a patch a few months ago to allow sorting
> objects listed in the Zope UI. I'll send it over to you by private email if
> you're interested. I don't really understand how it works.

Please cc it to Rik, because he is working on this problem !

> OK, I added a LinkFolder called links as in other Answers and a Link. They
> display OK.
>
> What naming conventions are you refering too? Conventions for ids or names
> or nicknames?

All three. For example I always use "id=links, name=links, nickname=links".
Just to make the whole site a little more consistent.

> > > - In the Add Answer form, I suggest providing a selection list to pick the
> > > format (stx, html, etc.) to avoid typos.
> >
> >You can change the following:
> >
> >/Control_Panel/Products/DocumentFolderProduct/form_content _type
>
> I'll test adding a list tomorrow morning.

Great !

> >The text "AlexR (alex@gabuzomeu.net)" is completely stored in the Maintainer
> >field. I don't know if it is good to put some HTML in there like:
> >"<A HREF="mailto:AlexR>alex@gabuzomeu.net</A>, but if you think this is ok,
> >we may change this.
>
> I'm not sure. Maybe we'd better avoid storing HTML markups in the property
> fields for easier reuse. Either we try using two properties (I haven't
> looked at the code yet) or we live it as is. There's no rush anyway.

We don't use the emails of visitors for anything else. It is just a service
for other visitors and for the author. So, storing the email separately is not
necessary.

Greetings,

Maik