[ZDP] On possible implementations of topic, subtopic, category and keyword inZDPZDP

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:33:32 +0100

Maybe this will clear it up. :)

[snip the interesting discussion]

If I understand it right (which I doubt), I think the two approaches can be
combined. If I may summarize what I understood

Maik's approach (well, with contributions by ZDP) makes categories and
keywords webbed (by the Catalog). They are always accessible from
everywhere.
David's approach uses a sort of hierarchy listings with pointers, which are
separate from the documents themselves. (incidentally: this is going to be a
lot more work, because all the listings have to be kept by hand).

I think we need them both, as the first approach leaves much room for ad hoc
listing, which is the next equivalent to searching.
The second approach gives much better browsing possibilities and it also
makes it possible to 'guide' users throught documentation.

I have some thoughts about home this could be implemented. But first let me
know if I got this right or if I am way off target.

Rik