[ZDP] On possible implementations of topic, subtopic, category and keyword inZDPZDP

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:13:34 +0100

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> Maybe this will clear it up. :)
>
> [snip the interesting discussion]
>
> If I understand it right (which I doubt), I think the two approaches can
be
> combined. If I may summarize what I understood
>
> Maik's approach (well, with contributions by ZDP) makes categories and
> keywords webbed (by the Catalog). They are always accessible from
> everywhere.
> David's approach uses a sort of hierarchy listings with pointers, which
are
> separate from the documents themselves.

The pointers 'links' could be in the documents/fragments if they can
hold them, which is the easiest way
Both the 'links' and hierarchy itself are Zcataloged, so the (see
related "") can be show everywhere.

[RH] OK, can't currently see what the implications are of ZCataloged
hierarchies. Wait a minute: that also means you could point to not only
other relevant topics per se, but also to possible other _contexts_ (in the
sense of places in other hierarchies. If I may associate a little more (this
being sunday evening): this has a lot to do with the XML concepts of topic
maps and architectural forms (if that means anything to anyone). With other
discussions about XML and XSL on the main ZOpe lists in mind: would it be a
way to represent our 'knowledge' in topic map like fashion?

> (incidentally: this is going to be a
> lot more work, because all the listings have to be kept by hand).

A lot more structured, keywords could become a very long list.

[RH]Granted: keywords will have to be controlled. Still, would you be able
to do without keywords altogether?

> I think we need them both, as the first approach leaves much room for ad
hoc
> listing, which is the next equivalent to searching.
> The second approach gives much better browsing possibilities and it also
> makes it possible to 'guide' users throught documentation.

That's my thoughts exactly, Why create a listing of words unless they
are browsable and shows some sort of Subject/topic relationship!

[RH] Hm, I'll have to reread your posts, to fully understand this, I
suppose.

> I have some thoughts about home this could be implemented. But first let
me
> know if I got this right or if I am way off target.

You got it. And I'll be around to help implement it.

[RH] Good. And don't forget Maik, who designed the whole ZDP Tools
altogether.

Rik