[ZDP] Re: Ordering objects and ZDP Tools (again)

David Kankiewicz kankie@thegrid.net
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:30:32 -0800

Alexandre Ratti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I feel also that ordering is local issue. The ordering property is likely
> to be used only at a local level to sort among objects with the same type.
>
> If and when we list several object types on the same page (eg. to create a
> book of resources, i.e. what I called a meta-book last week) we're likely
> to first sort the objects by type. Example:
>
> - First sort by global Topic/Subject/Whatever you call it
> - Then sort by object type.
> - Then sort on the order property.

This is how I've handled ordering in the few times I put together larger
listings.
Its relatively easy to give the user the choice of seeing each
independently (if there is that many) or by a set predetermined order.

> What I mean is that it makes more sense to display 1st draft, then howtos,
> then FAQs, then Snippets on a specific issue. First general information,
> then specifics.
>
> If we create this kind of global resource listing we may need to find a way
> to order objects types, eg. to make sure that specific types are listed
> before others.
> This also apply to a catalog seach: we could always display matching
> resources with a specific object type ordering (1st drafts if any, then
> howtos if any, etc.).

It is mostly a display issue if you go with the local ordering as stated
above and if its matters, I like it better then managing specific
placement/ordering in a growing object listing.

That's my .02, anyway.

regards,
David