[ZDP] New Site Design

Maik Roeder mroe@axion-gmbh.de
Fri, 05 May 2000 14:28:14 +0100

Hi David !

David Kankiewicz wrote:
> > I have changed the ZDP site a little bit, and would like to hear some
> > criticism. I hope you like the simplicity - at least it should load
> > subsecondly ;-)
> Nice, simple and fast. :),

Thanks. (Credit should go out to the guys at yahoo.com, who know
a lot about effective web design)

>  Criticisms: (Something I even had trouble with...)
> What's with the "Select.. Community, Subject, Topic.." listings
> :), that's going to get out of hand if they grow.

First of all, the subject is predefined. It is the Topic of the
parent.
The Topic can on only be one of the Topics under the Subject
you added the Document to. This list is notoriously small.

I know that right now all Subjects and Topics are shown, but
I can easily change that when the need arises  :-)

> We might need
> some fancy Javascript changing options on each Community/Subject
> change.. I'll look into it but can't say if or when I might try
> to make it happen... or does it even matter??

Not really.

> This type of thing
> would require that the parents', of the Sub. and Top., be stored
> in the ZCatalog, 'attribute' via external method (If that's even
> possible on the site? need access to the server).

The parents topic is simply copied to the childs Subject.

> We need that ZDP logo, etc. graphics... you mention :)  I'll be
> looking around for anything that fits the bill...

Cool. Now there are so many people who try to organize the
graphic stuff, we will have to vote for the best design ! ;-)

> > I also have to say thanks to David, who has done the first implementation
> > of the Subject/Topic hierarchy, a lot of which I have taken over for the
> > Portals. I have learned a lot from his work and his way of thinking.
> Great job and thanks for the credit! I wasn't ready to integrate
> with the ZDP site when I created the Subject/Topic thing, you
> integrated it so unless you say otherwise I'll work on improving
> yours and remove my unfinished model or think it over again..

Maybe you can have a look at this task:

http://zdp.zope.org/projects/zdptools/tasks/differentviews/

There is also a discussion there, where you can post some ideas !

Greetings

Maik Röder