[ZDP] New Site Design

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 08 May 2000 13:06:10 +0100

> > > I18N, L10N and P12N comes later (is already envisioned).
> >
> > Sorry, what do these mean?
>
> Internationalisation, Localisation and Personalisation.

Oh, okay, now a whole load of posts suddenly make sense ;-)

> This is the ZBook Content Library. It's a listing of all topics that
> will need a chapter in the ZBook. I just figured that by putting the
> Drafts in the Topics directly you can emulate such a beast.

Yes, I have to say I don't really see why a ZCL should eb necessary, just build
the stubs (folder-type things representing topics and chapters) and let peopel
fill them in :-)

> I vote for links that point to 100% good information resource that
> discuss the Subject or Topic at hand. This way we can give some added
> value without having the content on site.

Ah, the problem comes when you get a good link, but then a coupla years later
someone decides it move it and then you have a broken and useless link...

> With the introduction of the Links to search engines under the Subjects and
> Topics, I think we have a very powerful tool.

Not sure, search engines will likely return a lot of chaff rather than plain
decent wheat. What would be nice (and may be there, I haven't had a chance to
look...) is a 'search ZDP for this' and a 'search Zope.org' box on each
topic/item.

> I have opened the adding
> of subjects and topics for Anonymous. This way we can grow chaotically
> until all interesting topics and subjects are there. Once people start
> using this system, drop in discussions and draft folders, and you have
> a brainstorming system capable of producing collaboratively written
> documents.

Totally agree :-) Hopefully it'll end up working like one big (structured) Wiki.
The important thign then is havign lots fo moderators to make sure stuff is
still logical and useful to people who are using rather than writing stuff.

> I really believe that by navigating to a subject and topic
> you are interested in, then finding out that the ZDP does not carry the
> documentation does not matter at all !

Well, if the ZDP had NO content in it, then it wouldn't have a lot of use. I
think the key here is something you raise a bit later on...

> People should be encouraged to come back and
> contribute any newly found knowledge on the topic and subject, and other
> people can profit from the accumulating knowledge.

This is the key... it makes the ZDP more valuable as a resource because it will
grow into a set of filtered knowledge on certain subjects.

> We need to get together a critical mass of users, then the pressure will
> be high enough. Or, in fact it will not matter any more, because the Zope
> Documentation Portal will be the starting page of every Zope user.

This is true, what would be nice is if DC took moderation responsibility. In
essence, they let us do all the hard work (actualyl writing the documentation
;-) and then come along and say whether it's right or not (of course, it'd be
helpful if they corrected anything that was wrong ;-)

> > Do you mean to /projects/zdptools/tasks/ ?
> > If so, I'll do it, but nto until I get an 'OK' 'cos the ZDP management interface
> > is just a little intimidating for a newbie to ZDP like me :-)
>
> Don't worry, you may have noticed that we value chaos and creativity
> more than rigidity and control.

Urm, does this mean I still need to go and add the task? If so, is
/projects/zdptools/tasks/ the right place?

cheers,

Chris