[ZDP] CSS

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 09 May 2000 09:39:11 +0100

> Well, I also care about the look. Of course it shouldn't be a overloaded with
> graphics but it should simply look good/uniform and not like thrown together.

Which CSS, as you can see on zope.org, does quite well ;-)

> It's also easier to handle content with style sheets as you can concentrate
> on the content and not the design. I also don't see where problems should come
> from (I am using them quite a lot though for basic stuff like fonts, colors, etc.)..

Right, something I find invaluable is the following:

http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html

It's a list of all the CSS elements and what bits work with what
browsers. We just have to make sure we don't use anything that doesn't
work. I think our target browsers for look & feel  should be IE4 and
Navigator 4 and above. That accounts for about 93% of the hits we get on
the Zope Mailing List archives at zope.nipltd.com. Also, as I said
before, we should cater for the version 3 browsers in terms of being
legible, but not necessarily looking nice. That brings us up to 96%
which is about as good as I think we can expect to get...

> BTW, regarding the site I would also like a sans-serif font as this is IMHO
> better readable on monitors

The main reason I'd like to see CSS, that, and getting rid of those
horrible huge blobbly H1's ;-)

Okay, having hammered on about CSS, I now have to apologise because I'm
going to be extremely busy for the rest of the week getting NIP's Zope
Hosting options sorted out along with Squishdot 0.4.0 and some other
projects I'm working on :S

If someone else hasn't grabbed it by the next time I have some free
time, I'll give it a go.. :-)

cheers,

Chris