[ZDP] portal comments..

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 22:23:06 +0200

Hi!

Here at least some things which I noticed/was thinking of:

- The main page is too full.
  I would better only make links to the projects and maybe put
  a little explanation there (you could also make the headline
  to point to the description). Or the contents should be set in
  a smaller font.
  At least the FAQ should better only be a link (everybody knows
  what a FAQ is so no description needed). Right now it takes
  too much space.

- When clicking some portal links all I get are "empty" pages
  meaning pages which invite me to add something..
  I don't think that this is good for first time visitors because
  you never know which portal already contains something. If you
  only get "nothing" users might get frustrated.

  Also if they do the search it might not be that clear how to add
  information. There should be some button/whatever. First mailing
  a maintainer before getting access might be again too much for the
  user to do.

  I think that the main goal of ZDP should be to provide information
  and the second to gather it. Thus the "normal" user should first be
  presented with areas where information is already existing.
  In another mode there might then be the possibility to add stuff (or
  simply a link to a page listing the topics which are not filled
  yet.)

  Also the maintainers for the portal pages are not linked and thus
  not accessible (but this is sure a minor problem and quickly solved).

- The header seems to big. Depending on your window size it might take
  half or more of the content area. This should maybe changed. Maybe
  at least the search area can be moved to the bottom and the links
  to OSWG, etc. are also not that important at the deeper pages.

- Stuff is sometimes shown a little too technical. E.g.
    1) When I click on "members" I get a headline "Member folder"
       and a list with icons and names. This should maybe changed
       to a normal list without icons and a "normal" headline like
       "Members" ;-)
    2) I click on "What's new" and get a similar list and don't know
       what to do with it (at least the first time user might not know).
       Also the list seems to be too long. So maybe some "more items.."
       links should be provided.
       When I now click on "ZDP Members" I get again get the "Get involved"
       message and lots of links like "Tasks", "Portal" which make not
       that much sense to be until I click them. And even after clicking
       I dunno what they are supposed to be for ;-) E.g. when clicking
       "Tasks" I get

        If you want to help writing an introduction on the Subject Tasks for the
	ZDP Members Community, and provide some
	pointers to relevant information, please contact the ZDP by sending an
	Email to zdp@zope.org.

       Now I don't know what the subject "Tasks" for the Members community is
       supposed to contain and thus I don't know what I might contribute.
       Tasks to be done for the whole site? For single members? and so on..
       Maybe the nesting is also a little bit deep..
       (like ZDP  >  Portals  >  Members  >  Tasks  >  Task  )

So somehow it's all a little confusing at the beginning.. ;-)
(I know the chaotic approach is followed and I don't think it's negative.
Nevertheless a new user should also be able to find information and do
that quickly.)

I also think that there should be some faster way to join. Let join everybody
easily and add informationen which then must be reviewed by the maintainers
before it's published. Put also the names of the contributors near their
contributions that they have some motivation to add content.

Next I am not sure if I really understood the site architecture from the
first page ;-)
First I see portals (and the new user might not know what you understand
under a portal) and then I see headlines like "SIG Portals" (again portals?)
and the Zope book etc. and I don't know what this now actually is (projects,
but this is not shown there).

I will try to order this for me a little bit and write it down. Maybe you
also have additions to it. Then I will try to map this description to some
layout (as ZDP was changing quite frequently the last days this maybe should
be done in a separate place and published when it's finish. Thus users of ZDP
might not be confused by a new layout everyday ;-)

So, got a little long and maybe also a little chaotic.. hope you don't mind.. :)

-- christian