[ZDP] Some remarks about the portal design(s)

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 23:48:53 +0200

Hi!

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:28:16PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> > Ha! You can get some sleep now ;-) (as far as we're concerned). Hm, 9.00 am,
> > where are you then?
>
> 9pm... Reading... UK...
>
> > Yep, thanks. I already found them very helpful. Just one more question: are
> > they directly scriptable (for direct searches from zdp)
>
> Sadly not. You could probably rig up some search forms that would go
> directly into the results, but I'm not sure :/
>
> They could probably be made scriptable but that would be 'Hard Work'
> (tm)
> Things like this are one of the reason I'd like to move it all into
> Zope.
> But, like I said, I'm not confident that Zope could handle 30,000 odd
> messages and catalog them using ZCatalog without bringing the machine
> that hosts it all to its knees...

I would put it into an SQL database I think ;-)
Then the only thing which would need to be written is a script
which takes the mail and inserts into the database (with some parsing
of header fields which can be easily done in Python).

create table (
    msg_id	    int not null auto_increment,
    date	    datetime,
    subject	    varchar(255),
    author	    varchar(255),
    author_email    varchar(255),
    headers	    text,
    content	    text
);

(what more?!?)

To display the results in Zope should then not be the problem
with some ZSQL stuff..

But I only had a quick look on the archive so I might have missed something ;-)

-- Christian