[ZDP] Itamar's Draft

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Wed, 10 May 2000 12:31:31 +0200

Hi Tom !

Tom Deprez wrote:
> >You are right, it should be integrated in the ZDP site. The question
> >is just whether we should split the document and put it in the
> >FAQ or link to it when we make a draft for ZBook, or a Howto. With
> >"link" I mean to have it display in some Portal.
>
> The document contains not full sentences, so I think it could be added as
> FAQ's.

Being short and like a recipe is not something that directly qualifies
for a FAQ. It could also be contained in a HowTo.

> Of course you could also post this draft to ZBook, in the hope that
> somebody writes some text around it.

Then it is in the middle between a chapter and a FAQ entry. I would say
it is a HowTo for Adminitrators that contains some basic rules. Therefore,
we would need a HowTo ZClass.

> But the person who can do this, can also easely search all
> FAQ's before he writes the document.

The difference is that right now, although the document is not
written in full prose, at least it _collects_ all that is important
around a Topic !

I think we need to make a strong difference between _frequently_ asked
questions and answers to _a_ question that may come up.

In my opinion to warrant a frequently asked question, well, it has
to come up multiple times on the mailing list or it has to be asked
frequently in the New Portal under a Subject and Topic. That's why
I am going to allow Visitors to also add Questions in a Topic.

> >1. We need a document describing how to make contributions to ZDP
> >2. We need a document describing how contributions should be
> >   integrated in the ZDP
> >
> >I remember you have written something on the first point, maybe
> >you can adopt it to the new situation of making drafts available
> >via the Topics.
>
> Yup, I have written a draft for submitting drafts (:-)) to ZBook.

This procedure has been too complicated.

> The problem is that it seems that I still don't fully understand the new
> situtation.
>
> Is it like this :
>
> The Drafts for ZBook are still added in the ZBook Project like we used to
> do. The difference now, is that we also have to make a topic inside the
> portal? Once this topic created and when people surf to this topic, ZDP
> automatically reveales this draft?

Yes, this is what will be done with the already existing Drafts. This
is ok for members.

Visitors will not be able to submit Drafts to ZBook, because this is
too complicated. People also shy away from doing so because it means
that the Draft has to fit in there. It is my intention to give people
who can submit drafts to have a place where they can quickly
post their drafts, and be sure they get some feedback from people
who are interested in the same Subject and Topic. Then we can suggest
the people to write a Chapter of the ZBook or integrate stuff into it.

Greetings,

Maik Röder

--
Open Source is "about being able to work together with people you've
never  met, on projects that  are in  a constant state  of flux,  on